We have known for over 50 years just how harmful asbestos is, as this natural substance causes serious diseases such as asbestosis and lung cancer, and even though we have banned the use of asbestos in Australia, there are still many thousands of buildings that contain asbestos. Indeed, there is a huge asbestos removal industry that is dedicated to removing asbestos from structures in Australia, and in this article, we will take a look at how asbestos is considered dangerous.
- Silent Killer – Asbestosis, lung cancer and other serious respiratory issues are linked to asbestos, and when asbestos is present, but left undisturbed, there is no real danger. It is only when the asbestos is disturbed that it is dangerous, as minute slivers of the substance can become airborne, and should these be inhaled by anyone, the slivers of asbestos can lodge in the lungs. There are often no symptoms, indeed, a person could harbour this for years without showing any visible signs of any health issues, so if you even suspect that there is asbestos present on your property, you should call in the asbestos removal specialists, who can test for the presence of asbestos, and should they find it, safely remove the harmful material.
- Building Renovations – When renovating your home or business premises, there is a risk that you might disturb asbestos, and rather than taking any chances, you should look for a specialist company that offers asbestos testing and removal services. You might, for example, need asbestos roof removal in Perth and if this is the case, a Google search will help you to locate a nearby expert, who can safely remove any asbestos you might have in your property.
- Building Materials – In the years after WWII, asbestos was widely used in the construction industry, right up until the mid-1970s, when it emerged just how harmful asbestos is. While in Australia, the use of asbestos was banned since the 1980s, there are still many thousands of buildings that contain asbestos, and when building renovations take place, there is a very real risk of encountering asbestos.
- Roofing & Wall Partitions – Prior to the discovery of the health dangers of this natural substance, asbestos was widely used in the making of sheets that were used in the construction of buildings. Asbestos could be found in older factory and warehouse roofing, and if you are thinking of renovating your older commercial building, you should first find out if asbestos is present.
- Consult with an Expert – Of course, it is very difficult to establish whether or not a building material actually contains asbestos, as the substance is often combined with other materials, therefore you should contact an asbestos removal company. They can carry out tests to determine whether or not asbestos is actually present, and if it is, they have the know-how and the equipment to safely remove the asbestos.
If you are thinking of carrying out a home renovation, make sure that there is no asbestos present by calling out an asbestos removal company.